Creating a special needs trust

When it comes to parenting, planning for your kids’ future is an important part of your life. If you’re a parent of a special needs child, how you plan may look a little different, especially when it comes to finances.

One option for helping your child get an inheritance is to set up a special needs trust. There are several things you need to know about these trusts.

Medicaid and government assistance

Children and adults with special needs may be eligible for assistance programs like Medicaid. If this is the case, giving them an inheritance could push them out of these programs because of increased assets.

This could have the opposite effect of your intentions. Your child may have more money, but their quality of life could decrease because they may lose valuable medical care or access to other important state programs.

Supplemental needs trusts

Setting up a third party trust can be a great option to avoid this problem. This type of trust allows family members to leave an inheritance to a disabled person without the assets counting against their assets. This is valuable because it allows the beneficiary to stay on valuable government programs and still inherit money.

A more secure option

These types of trusts are more secure than other options. For example, some people will leave money to another family member to be used to care the disabled person. There are fewer protections on this type of arrangement. A supplemental trust means you are specifically leaving your money so someone with special needs can access the funds as supplemental income.

There are no limits to the amount of money that can be put in these trusts. If you are the parent of a disabled person, this may be an option worth exploring.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Individual Or Business Needs

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


The Law Offices of Mary T. Hone, PLLC
10505 N. 69th Street, Suite 1400
Scottsdale, AZ 85253

Phone: 602-903-7759
Fax: 480-478-0146
Scottsdale Law Office Map

Review Us